This buyer’s guide will identify the best vacuums for car detailing based on a power source, cord length, size, and weight.
Car vacuums are designed to clean the external surface. If you more cleanliness, consider buying the fuel injector cleaning kits. They keep the fueling system as clean as it can get, removing any obstructions from the channels. Besides, you will find vacuums important tools when cleaning and detailing your car. While this is the case, your household vacuum may not be good for this task.
Whether it is for a car detailing shop of your DIY detailing project, you will require the right car detailing vacuum for the best results. Basically, you will need a product that is specifically designed for this kind of work.
You will need to consider a couple of things when shopping for the right vacuum. Pay particular attention to things such as the type, power source, cord length, size, weight as well as the suction of the product. We have sorted through the hundreds of car detailing vacuums to find the best deals available today. Here are reviews of five top rated vacuums you should consider buying. Take a look!
How Often Should I Empty My Car Detailing Vacuum?
Just because the tank of your vacuum cleaner has a large capacity doesn’t mean you should keep the polluted water inside. Once you finish vacuuming, be sure to empty the dirt and clean off all the cleanable surfaces and parts. Then you can store your car detailing vacuum and it will be ready for use.
Best Car Detailing Vacuum
1. Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner – Best Car Detailing Vacuum Overall
This vacuum is designed to offer you the perfect blend of powerful scrubbing action, suction and cleaning solution. No wonder the unit is rated as one of the best auto detailing vacuums for professional results. To help you achieve this, the product is packed with numerous performance and convenience features.
To begin with, the unit has been proven to be effective at cleaning a wide range of surfaces, including stairs, upholstery, car interiors, carpets, rugs, and mats. In this regard, the plug-in vacuum delivers powerful suction to remove stains, dirt, spots, and dust from your car.
The 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable by Bissell is equipped with a large capacity, 3/4 gallon tank. As a result, you will be able to clean more without having to empty the tank. Although the product is a plug-in model, it offers a decent range. This may be attributed to its long 22 ft power cord.
Finally, you will like the fact that the unit comes with several attachments and tools to clean various surfaces. Additionally, it features the patent professional-grade cleaning formula by the manufacturer. Its cleaning efficiency is further enhanced by its Scotchgard protection technology.
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
- Comes with a 22 ft. long power cord
- May be used to clean an array of surfaces
- Comes with different cleaning tools and attachments
- Features a 5 flex hose for enhanced reach
- Delivers superior cleaning results
- Great at removing tough stains
- Equipped with a large 3/4 gallon tank
- Attaching the handheld brush to the vacuum may cause the hose to bend and become kinky
2. BLACK+DECKER PAV1200W 12-Volt Handheld Vacuum Cleaner – The Best Hand-Held Auto Detailing Vacuum
If you are looking for a car detailing vacuum for your DIY cleaning projects, the heavy and more powerful commercial vacuums may not be the right choice. In such a case, you will need the bets handheld vacuum for car detailing. The Black 7 Decker Pav 1200 W Cyclonic Action cleaner is one of the best, in this regard.
For enhanced convenience and portability, the product comes with a 16-foot power cable that plugs into the 12-v outlet in your car. As such, you will find the model relatively powerful and portable.
Weighing only 4.25 pounds, you will find the product relatively easier to handle. Additionally, it features a slim pivoting nozzle. This allows you to handle the unit at any angle; hence makes it easier to clean the hard-to-reach areas in your car.
- Comes with a 16 ft. long power cord
- Plugs into the 12 V car outlet
- Relatively lightweight
- Features a slim pivoting nozzle
- Features a bagless one-step easy-empty dirt canister
- Offers 3-stage filtration
- Features a filter refresh knob
- Folds into half for easier storage
- Comes with several cleaning tools and attachments
- You may find the suction a bit low for some applications
3. DEWALT DCV581H 18/20-Volt MAX Cordless/Corded Wet-Dry Vacuum – The Best Commercial Vacuum for Car Detailing
Do you own a car detailing shop? Then you will need a vacuum that is more powerful and versatile to suit an array of detailing applications. One such product is the DEWALT DCV581H 18/20-Volt MAX Cordless/Corded Wet-Dry Vacuum cleaner. With regards to versatility, this product may be used as a corded or a cordless vacuum.
When used as a cordless vacuum, it will require an 18 V or 20 V battery to run. The vacuum is equipped with a high-efficiency wet/dry HEPA filter. This filter boasts of efficiency of 99.97 percent at one micron. You will also find the filter readily accessible, washable and reusable.
The product features an integrated -1/4″ diameter, heavy duty and crush resistant hose. This not only enhances the durability of the product, but also makes it more flexible. If you choose to buy this product, you will also get a nozzle too attachment and a crevice tool attachment.
- Comes with on-board storage
- May function as a corded or cordless vacuum
- Equipped with a heavy-duty 1-1/4″ diameter hose
- Has a washable, accessible and reusable filter
- The HEPA filter used in the vacuum has an efficiency rating of 99.97 %
- Equipped with a 2-gallon tank
- Relatively durable
- If you are right-handed, you may find the exhaust poorly positioned
4. Vacmaster 4 Gallon, 5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Floor Vacuum – The Most Affordable Auto Detailing Vacuum
If you are working on a limited budget, you should consider buying an affordable vacuum that can actually handle the task. Though priced below $80, you will find this Vacmaster vacuum powerful and versatile to handle several detailing tasks effectively.
The 5HP vacuum has been proven to deliver impeccable results when used for wet or dry vacuuming. This machine is equipped with a 2-stage powerful industrial motor. The motor makes this unit more durable, powerful and quiet in operation.
As far as the weight is concerned, this product may be one of the lightest car detailing vacuums in this guide. Even so, it is equipped with a large capacity 2-gallon tank.
- Fitted with a 4 gallon polypropylene tank
- Features on-board storage for accessories
- Comes with 18 ft power cord
- Features automatic cord rewind
- Equipped with a 7-foot flexible hose
- Uses a high efficiency HEPA filter
- Equipped with a dust sealed on/off switch
- Powered by an industrial motor
- Relatively quiet in operation
- The tank has a capacity of 4 gallons but can only hold 2 gallons of liquid before the unit shuts down
5. VacuMaid GV50PRO Wall Mounted Garage and Car Vacuum – The Best Corded Car Detailing Vacuum
As is the case with any corded vacuum cleaner today, the length of the power cord is a key consideration. The VacuMaid GV50PRO Wall Mounted Garage and Car Vacuum cleaner comes with an exceptionally long 50 ft. cord. Additionally, the wall-mounted vacuum delivers a reliable performance and is very powerful.
Owing to its powerful performance, the product is considered to be best suited for vehicles, garages, workshops, utility rooms and auto detailing shops. To withstand the conditions associated with such places, the vacuum features one of the strongest constructions in the industry today.
In this regard, the vacuum cleaner has a powder-coated galvannealed, corrosion-resistant housing. Despite its heavy weight, you will find the unit easy to mount. As a matter of fact, you will not need any plumbing to mount it.
- Comes with a 50′ hose
- Comes with the installation hardware
- Features a Sealed HEPA-style bag
- Fitted with a 7-gallon tank
- Comparatively versatile in application
- Features a 5.7″ Ametek Lamb motor
- Comparatively costly
Things You Need to Know Before You Buy a Car Detailing Vacuum
As a beginner, your vacuum choice can be a thorn in your flesh. For that reason, it pays to know what you need to look for in the best auto detailing vacuum cleaner. In this regard, here are some of the considerations you should make while shopping for the right one:
1. Vacuum Type
Just as home vacuum cleaners are varied, car detailing vacuums are also different. This being the case, you first need to ascertain what you will be using the vacuum to do. For instance, will you be using the vacuum to pick up dust and debris only or you will also be shampooing some parts?
If the vacuum is entirely for picking dirt and debris, you should go for a model suited for dry vacuuming. However, there will be times when you need to shampoo certain parts. For enhanced versatility, it is advisable to go for a wet/dry vacuum. For wet vacuuming purposes, a blower will also come in handy for drying the wet areas.
2. Power Source
What powers your preferred vacuum cleaner? While you may have an array of power sources at your disposal, you need to go for the one that is best suited for the intended application. The various car vacuums available today may be grouped into 3 categories, based on their power source.
- Battery-powered – these are the vacuums that are powered by inbuilt batteries. In most cases, the batteries are rechargeable. Such models are very portable and do not have a limited range. However, the suction power in such models will fade away as the battery loses charge.
- Plug-in Vacuums – these may also be referred to as corded vacuums. Such products feature cords that plug to electrical outlets. The range of such vacuums will be limited by the cord length. However, these are some of the most powerful auto detailing vacuums you can buy today.
- Automobile powered – these ones are corded as well, but plug into the 12-volt outlet in your car. Though not as powerful as the plug-in models, these can make up for enhanced portability.
3. Power and Performance
As you may be aware, car carpets and mats are tougher than household upholstery. Additionally, you need to get a model that is capable of picking up dirt from the car with ease. This is why the suction power offered by the vacuum should be a key consideration. A stronger suction power makes it easier for the product to pick up dirt embedded in the fabric.
The amperage rating of any auto detailing vacuum should give you an idea of how powerful its suction is. In this regard; the suction power increases with an increase in amperage. However, the more powerful units are often packed with bigger motors, hence require larger batteries.
Such requirements will definitely make the model bulkier and heavier to carry around. Therefore, you need to balance all such aspects for the best car detailing vacuum.
4. Attachments & Extra Accessories
Different vacuums come with an assortment of removable attachments, depending on what they are meant to do. To get the best value for your money, you should go for a product that is really versatile. However, you should only stick with the vacuum tools and attachments that will make auto detailing easier for you.
Not all vacuum cleaners are designed specifically for car detailing. Nonetheless, many vacuums come with extra accessories that can do a decent job of detailing. For this reason, check all the available accessories that can come in handy when cleaning the interior of your car.
Today, most vacuums are cordless for better portability, but there’re still corded models on the market. While some vacuums come with built-in wheels to move around easily, others are difficult to move and quite rigid.
Clearly, you will want a vacuum that is easy to move around. That said, you should check the weight and size when shopping for the vacuum. The best vacuum for car detailing is supposed to be highly portable. The portability can be a double-edged sword, though.
While the portable vacuum models offer enhanced convenience, they may not offer enough power for deep cleaning tasks. Nevertheless, you will be able to quickly get through most of your cleaning jobs, especially those that involve handling light debris.
6. Power Cord and Hose Length
This is another feature associated with portability. In addition to power cord length, you should also consider the hose length. A vacuum cleaner that has a long power cord and a long hose allows for extended reach.
This is especially important when it comes to wall-mounted vacuums. A vacuum cleaner with a 40-foot hose, for example, would allow you to clean your vehicle without having to carry around the entire unit.
Car Detailing Vacuums FAQs
How Often Do I Need to Vacuum the Interior of My Car?
Basically, vehicle interior vacuuming is much the same as home cleaning. But that doesn’t mean you should vacuum the interior of your vehicle every week. You may carry out a thorough cleaning of your car interior once a month instead. That’s enough in most cases.
Should I Use a Dedicated Vacuum for Car Detailing?
Well, it’s not absolutely necessary. But if you want to get the most out of cleaning, then you are advised to do so. Alternatively, you can use a vacuum cleaner with the appropriate attachments or accessories for car detailing. It can still do a good job of cleaning.
Where to Start Vacuuming?
Many people think that the car floor is the best place to start vacuuming. Wrong! This way you will make the dirt fall to the floor and have more work in the end. Instead, start from the top of your car and go down so that the floor is the last area to deal with.
If you are looking for something handy when changing tires or undertaking any form of maintenance on your vehicle, consider buying the best electric tongue jacks.
Where Dirt Gets Piled In?
Just like a home would, a car is bound to accumulate dirt and dust as time goes by. To maintain the aesthetic appeal of your car, you need to clean it properly from time to time. As dirt and dust get embedded in the car seats, mats and carpet, you will need the best vacuum for car detailing to get the job done.
Not All Vacuums Are The Same
Keep in mind that not all the available vacuum cleaners are suited for car detailing. For professional quality detailing, you will need the right tools and equipment alike. In this regard, you will need to invest in the right auto detailing vacuum cleaner. As you have learned throughout this guide, the right unit will mainly depend on the intended application.