A good first impression and an increase in your home’s value are both significantly influenced by its curb appeal. A worthwhile investment in your home’s exterior is highly valuable whether you intend to sell it or just want to live in a house that looks straight out of a catalog.
Fortunately, the housing market in the US is gradually recovering after a period of hardship. According to data from Redfin, the median home price for single-family homes in the Seattle market in November 2022 was $730,000, a 2.1% increase year over year. The time is rife to add value to your home using various simple and affordable methods. The price for renovating a typical home in Seattle can range from $500 to $800+ per square foot.
Here’s how you can improve your home’s curb appeal:
Exterior repairs and upkeep
The state of your home’s exterior significantly influences your home’s curb appeal. Here are some pointers to make sure your house is kept up and appealing to the eye:
- Clean your home’s exterior surfaces regularly, including the walls, windows, and gutters. Dirt, grime, and mildew can be effectively removed with power washing.
- Inspect the roof for any cracked or missing shingles or other signs of deterioration. To keep your home’s overall integrity and appearance, deal with any problems immediately.
- If your home’s exterior paint is faded or peeling, consider repainting or staining it. Pick a color scheme that blends well with the neighborhood’s design and architecture.
- A siding upgrade is a must. Seattle rarely experiences summer temperatures above 79°F (26°C), and its winters are typically mild, with daytime highs rarely falling below 45°F (8°C). Annual rainfall in the greater Seattle area is about 37 inches. These weather conditions can take a toll on the siding, so you should hire a Seattle siding replacement company for a quick fix. Usually, a siding installation typically costs $6 to $12 per square foot in Seattle.
Work on the landscape
One of the most effective ways to increase the curb appeal of your home is landscaping. To make an outdoor area visually appealing, take into account the following advice:
- Look after the lawn: To keep the lawn looking neat and well-maintained, mow, trim, and edge it frequently. Eliminate weeds, then fill in any bare spots.
- Plant vibrant flower beds: To add pops of color to your landscape, plant colorful flowers and plants. Select flowers that bloom at various times to ensure appeal throughout the year.
- Mulching and edging: Add a fresh layer of mulch and tree bases with clean edges. This can significantly improve how tidy your landscape looks as a whole.
- Tree and shrub pruning: Cut back overgrown bushes and branches to create a balanced and orderly appearance. Your yard should be cleared of any trash and dead plants.
Beauty is in the details
The little things can have a big impact on your house’s curb appeal. Keep an eye on the following things:
- A new front door or a fresh coat of paint can significantly improve the appearance of your house. Pick a hue that enhances the overall color scheme and lends a warm touch.
- Install modern, legible house numbers instead of worn-out or outdated ones. Consider replacing your mailbox with one that matches the design of your house.
- Position outdoor lighting fixtures strategically to illuminate landscaping, walkways, and architectural details. This not only improves safety but also creates a cozy and welcoming atmosphere.
- To improve the appearance of windows, thoroughly clean them and consider adding window boxes or shutters. Install window coverings that are fashionable and useful and that go well with the exterior’s overall design.
Enhance your home’s appeal
Make deliberate architectural alterations to your house to improve its charm and character. Here are some suggestions for remodeling your space:
- Create a warm and appealing front entrance. Create a porch or foyer with cozy seats, lush plants, and stylish furnishings. Create a welcoming mood by setting the scene.
- Add elegant fences to your property to provide privacy and security. Pick a style that blends with your home’s architecture while being aesthetically pleasing and practical.
- Design a gorgeous patio or deck with comfortable chairs, outdoor rugs, and chic decorations. These spaces are ideal for both partying and unwinding.
- Add window shutters, decorative moldings, or a lovely pergola. The façade of your property will have charm and individuality thanks to these distinguishing characteristics.
Embrace the cyclical nature of the seasons
Embrace the cyclical cycle of the seasons in your home’s exterior design by using plants and seasonal décor. Take into account these recommendations:
- Holiday wreaths and door accents: Hang lovely holiday wreaths or door accents made of natural materials or decorated with seasonal patterns.
- Seasonal plantings: Infuse your surroundings with vitality by putting in beautiful grasses, bushes, or flowers that only blossom during certain seasons. This guarantees a lively and young look all year round.
- Outside seasonal décor: By using potted plants, lanterns, or ornamental flags, you may make your outside area seem festive and welcoming. These components will help you give your home’s exterior the charm of each season, enhancing the overall attractiveness of your area.
Clean unkempt areas
Make sure the areas outside are clean, orderly, and clutter-free. And keep in mind this:
- Consider investing in outdoor storage options like a shed or deck box to keep toys, gardening equipment, and other goods neatly put away.
- To keep your outdoor furniture appearing new and welcoming, clean and maintain it regularly. If necessary, think about getting new furniture or changing the worn-out cushions.
- Remove debris, sweep the entrances, and clean fallen leaves. This will make your home’s entryway seem tidy and friendly.
Transform your home into a showstopper with these tips to boost its curb appeal. Up your landscaping game, fix any maintenance concerns, and focus on those little details. Take it a step further with architectural alterations to make a statement. Don’t neglect cleanliness and aesthetics; go all out with seasonal decorations and beautiful plants. Lastly, create inviting outdoor spaces that are organized and functional. By following these suggestions, your home will leave a lasting impression and make you proud to call it your own.